Friday, September 30, 2011

Cake # 12 Woody's Lemon Luxury Layer Cake

Layered lemon cake...well, for those fans of lemon I suppose this sounds fabulous. Which is what most of my tasters thought. I'm not really a lemon fan either so my opinion doesn't really count much. But here's what went down.

I've only made a few other things that have been as detailed as this lemon cake...pretty much just wedding cakes. However, I did find it really fun.

First I zested the lemons for the lemon curd. Let me tell you, this is a tedious job.


The curd has to cool awhile before you can do anything else.
So then I started in on the buttercream, which had 2 parts and lots of white chocolate.
Melting and stirring and coming to room temperature, it all just took a while.

Here's my fancy ingredients, 2 kinds of white chocolate, one for the cake one for the buttercream.


 Everything was going well, I had finished all parts of the buttercream and the lemon curd, cake was made and baking. I pulled it out of the oven, let it cool awhile and then went to invert it to finish cooling. However, I inverted it onto my hand ....the light and airy cake totally fell apart.
 

Since this cake is covered in icing, I figured I could cover up my mistakes pretty easily. However, the buttercream was the hard part on this cake, so I made it again.
So far I've made 2 cakes, and I've made them both twice. Hopefully next time I get get a hole in one.

Were the taste buds happy?
Well fans of lemon definitely were.  The lemon flavor was even compared to a very fancy bakery here in town. That made me real happy. I personally thought the cake itself was a little dry. But with all the layers (sorry it didn't cross my mind to capture that part, but next time I will) and all the buttercream the flavor overruled. I didn't have any complaints.

Thanks again for checking in, and until next time, enjoy the cake.

1 comment: