Monday, September 26, 2011

Cake # 67 Sybil's Pecan Torte with Coffee Cream

So what is a torte anyway?
A torte is originally from Austria, and by definition is a rich cake usually covered with cream and fruit or nuts. Because of it's richness many times does not include flour in the recipe. As this torte did not, and was filled heavily with nuts. Pecans to be exact.


I did learn from this cake that I need to read the whole recipe before I commit to it. One of the ingredients in this torte is coffee extract OR an instant espresso powder by Medaglia D'Oro. I went ahead and purchased the espresso powder only to find when reading the recipe that Rose claims a specific vendor Nielsen-Massey "makes a pure coffee extract that is the essence of coffee flavor." The night before I'm supposed to make my cake and this essence of coffee flavor is out of reach. Oh well, I used the alternative and I will read ahead in the future.

Special ingredients...Medaglia D'Oro espresso powder, and superfine sugar. (I think I've used this sugar before, but it's been a while, I went to 3 grocery stores to find it.)


I thought I failed this one. My first cake and I thought for sure I failed. It didn't really rise like I thought it should and some of the sides were still stuck to my pan. I knew it was a flop.


So I made it again, then I had several tasters try both tortes at the same time. The first one won the contest, but both were well liked. I'm trying to learn my lesson here that usually when I think I've failed, I probably haven't. I'm my own worst critic.


Were the taste buds happy?
I would have to say on this one they were. Although I'm not pecan's biggest fan those that were thought this cake was heavenly. 2 tasters mentioned it tasted like a protein bar, only better of course. There were comments about how moist it was, it's richness, and it's flavor. Overall a huge hit. Thanks Rose!

Thanks for tuning in, if you are and until next time, enjoy the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment